Information for All Applicants

The GPs' Own Charity can Support you in Times of Need.

Ensure that you have begun the process of claiming State & Local Authority Benefits to which you are entitled, e.g. Jobseeker's Allowance, Council Tax Rebate, Tax Credits. When trustees award grants they are intended to complement the Benefits to which an applicant is entitled.  Registration for Jobseeker's Allowance is required for any state assistance with mortgage interest repayments.

Contact your Local Medical Committee if your present circumstances relate to an issue within your practice, with your Primary Care Trust or with the General Medical Council.  LMCs can provide guidance, representation and support.  The LMC for your area can be found from the General Practitioners' Committee Yearbook, which is available from the BMA web site.

If you are a GP who is temporarily unable to work, look at reducing your medically related expenses.  Ask the GMC and your Medical Defence Organisation about reduced fees.  It may be unwise to resign your Medical Defence membership; you may need their representation at a hearing.  Contact your local Deanery about your situation, they may be able to offer career support or suggest a GP colleague who could mentor you.  It is particularly important to maintain your professional skills and knowledge through reading and on-line courses.

If you are a member of the British Medical Association, you will be able to access BMA Services.  BMA Counselling and the Doctors for Doctors Unit provide confidential support  and counselling for doctors in difficult and distressing circumstances.

For legal help and advice the Telephone Specialist Advice Centre may be able to assist you.  It is operated by the Community Legal Service and is based in Stevenage.  Call 0845 345 4 345 from anywhere in England or Wales and calls will be charged at the local rate.